In today’s world, the essential assets for the people are their Phone and the data inside the Phone. Social networking sites like Whatsapp, Facebook, Instagram also plays a vital role. With these social sites, people can catch up with their friends, families and colleagues and know what they did, where they went, how they feel etc.
However, sometimes, you have to face the situation of data loss due to the following reasons:
- Accidental Deletion
- Formatted the device
- Data to be corrupt
- Physical damage etc.
So what can you do to get back your data? You can restore from backup (If you have taken ever)?
So now coming to the topic, If you deleted WhatsApp messages then first you have to check if you enable the option back up restore. Because WhatsApp doesn’t store any messages on its server unless you’ve backed them up by yourself.
You can try this method for Android Phone:
- Go to File Manager in your Phone
- Go to WhatsApp folder – > Database (This folder contains all files stored locally)
- Select the file msgstore.db.crypt12 and rename it to msgstore_BACKUP.db.crypt12.(It will help to show you the most recent files and if any problem then renames the file to its original name and restore.)
- Now you will see a bunch of files in this folder in the format msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12. (It is your older WhatsApp backups, you can pick the most recent one and rename it to msgstore.db.crypt12.)
- After this, open google drive on your phone, tap the hamburger icon (the three vertical lines) > Backups. Now delete the WhatsApp backup there. This will force your Phone to restore from the local backup instead.
- Now, uninstall the WhatsApp, and then reinstall it.
- While setting up your WhatsApp account tap on Restore
- You’ll get your deleted chats back.
Recovering deleted WhatsApp messages is extremely easy if you regularly backup your chats to Google Drive/iCloud or your local storage (applicable for Android devices only). You just need to uninstall and reinstall the WhatsApp on your phone, and you are good to go! During the installation the WhatsApp messenger app will automatically ask you to restore chats from a previous backup.
But there are possibilities that only the latest chats get restored using the above method. If that’s the case, you might try this solution to recover older chats from the backup. Remember this will going to work on the Android devices only:
- If you backup your chats to both Google Drive and local storage, you will need to delete the WhatsApp backup file from the Google Drive. To do this, you just need to open the Google Drive app on your Android, tap on ‘Backups’ and delete the WhatsApp backup file.
- Now connect your Android device to your computer via USB cable
- Open File Explorer on your computer and locate the “WhatsApp” folder on the internal storage or SD card
- Navigate to WhatsApp > Databases and rename msgstore.db.crytp12 to msgstore-latest.db.crytp12
- Rename msgstore-YYYY-MM-DD.1.db.crypt12 to msgstore.db.crytp12
- Uninstall and reinstall WhatsApp and when prompted, restore from the backup file.
Now let’s talk about recovering deleted WhatsApp messages when you cannot restore your chats from a previous backup…
To make things easier there are some tools that can help you recover both deleted WhatsApp chats and media from iOS and Android devices. For example, you can follow this tutorial that explains how to recover deleted WhatsApp chats from Android or iOS. I personally tried the tool to recover deleted chats from my Samsung Galaxy S10 android, and it worked for me. Couldn’t retrieve all the chats, but still I get most of the chats and media back. It works without rooting your device so I think it is worth a try.
Some other similar software that claims to recover deleted WhatsApp chats are iMyfone and Drfone. I haven’t tried these two personally, but they do appear on Google on the very first page so thought about including them in my answer. One thing to keep in my mind is that these WhatsApp recovery software are not free. So don’t even bother downloading them to recover those romantic chats between you and your girlfriend. Apart from these desktop applications, there is an app called ‘Undeleter’ that claims to recover deleted messages from android devices in the form or HTML file format. The app got mixed reviews and it might not work on unrooted android devices. That’s all for now!